Posts for tag: Diabetic Foot Care
For most people, common foot problems like ingrown toenails, blisters, and corns are uncomfortable but ultimately minor annoyances that usually clear up with conservative treatment or over the counter medications. But for someone with diabetes, a minor podiatry problem can lead to serious complications and health risks. In order to lower the risk of diabetes related foot problems, the podiatrists at Foot & Ankle Reconstruction of North Georgia, Dr. Bret Hintze and Dr. Brian Holcomb, advise diabetic patients to take the necessary precautions and include routine podiatry care in their overall health and wellness plan.
Diabetic Foot Care in Woodstock and Jasper, GA
The most important thing you can do to stay healthy and avoid complications is to manage your blood sugar levels with a healthy and appropriate diet, adequate exercise, regular check ups, and not smoking. Diabetics are more susceptible to a condition known as peripheral neuropathy, which affects the nerves in the legs and feet. Bad circulation and poor blood flow associated with peripheral neuropathy can make even minor foot problems serious when you suffer from diabetes, increasing the risk of infection and other serious problems like necrosis.
If you suffer from diabetes, here are a few precautions you can take to keep your feet healthy:
- Wear comfortable, supportive, well fitting shoes that allow your feet to breathe and are not too tight to avoid the risk of blisters, corns, and ulcers
- Keep your feet clean and dry at all times
- Avoid applying lotion between the toes
- Do not walk barefoot
- Keep your toenails neatly trimmed (cut straight across and avoid sharp edges, or have them trimmed by a podiatrist to limit the risk of an ingrown toenail
- Examine your feet on a regular basis for any issues like cuts, blisters, ulcers, or signs of infection and see a foot doctor as quickly as possible at the first sign of any problems
Find a Podiatrist in Woodstock and Jasper, GA
To learn more about diabetic foot care and how to protect yourself or a loved one from diabetes-related complications, contact Foot & Ankle Reconstruction of North Georgia to schedule an appointment with Dr. Hintze or Dr. Holcomb by calling (770) 999-0703 in Woodstock or (770) 999-0804 in Jasper.