Posts for tag: Bunion
A common, though nonetheless painful, bone deformity found on the foot, bunions can cause recurring chronic inflammation and irritation. Fortunately, here at Foot and Ankle Reconstruction in Jasper and Woodstock, GA, your podiartist, Dr. Bret J. Hintze, can help detect and treat this potentially harmful foot condition—read on to learn more!
Do you have a bunion?
Symptoms of a bunion include:
- A bump on the base of the big toe
- Corns or calluses
- Limited movement of the big toe
What non-surgical procedures can help?
- Eat healthy to maintain a suitable and appropriate weight.
- Protect the bunion using a gel-filled pad.
- Over-the-counter shoe inserts can help position the foot correctly to avoid further misalignment.
- Wear a splint to ensure the toe doesn't rotate and ease discomfort but make sure you consult your Jasper and Woodstock podiatrist.
- Use non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen to ease pain and inflammation.
- Soak feet in warm water, use ice packs and massage feet.
- Wear well-fitting shoes.
What if these approaches don't work?
If you have attempted the above-listed non-surgical treatment methods without relief, bunion surgery may be your best option. These procedures come in two categories:
- Head procedure is when the bone is moved to its proper position, and a screw is used to fix the toe in place.
- Base procedures is a surgical procedure done on the bone near or behind the big toe joint. There are several types of base procedures: placing and/or rotating the bone into its proper position; fusing the joint; and treating ligaments, inside and outside the toe.
A consultation with Dr. Hintze can determine if bunion surgery is right for you.
Need podiatric care? Give us a call
If you have any questions and or would like to schedule a consultation regarding bunion surgery, make sure to call Foot and Ankle Reconstruction in Jasper and Woodstock, GA, today. For the Jasper office, dial (770) 999-0804, and for Woodstock, dial (770) 999-0703.
How your podiatrist in Woodstock, Georgia can help with bunion pain
Bunion pain can be difficult to deal with. That large, painful bump next to your big toe can make it difficult to put on shoes, walk, and stand. The good news is you can get relief from bunion pain! Dr. Bret Hintze at Foot & Ankle Reconstruction of North Georgia wants to help. He has two convenient office locations in Woodstock, and Jasper, Georgia to help take care of your feet.
Did you know that over half of the women in America suffer from bunion pain? It’s true, according to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. Women suffer from bunion pain more commonly than men because women wear narrow shoes that crush their toes. High heels add to the problem by shoving the foot forward, cramping the toes even more. The big toe can get bent, causing the toe joint to rub against the inside of your shoe, resulting in a bunion.
If you have a small bunion, you may be able to get relief by trying a few simple remedies, including:
- Changing to wide shoes with plenty of wiggle room for your toes
- Using padded inserts, cushions, or custom orthotics
- Taping your foot to support the bunion
If you have a larger, more severe bunion, you should visit Dr. Hintze. He will examine your foot and take x-rays to determine how much bone is involved in the bunion, and determine the best treatment solution for you. Common treatments he may suggest include:
- Custom orthotics or fitted footwear
- Night splints to help realign the toe joint
- Removing corns and calluses to reduce friction
- Cortisone injections around the bunion to reduce swelling and pain
Dr. Hintze may also recommend bunion surgery to remove the bunion and realign your foot. For more detailed information about bunion surgery, please visit the Bunion Surgery section on the website at http://www.footandanklereconstructionga.com/bunion-surgery.html
If you are dealing with bunion pain, it’s time to get some relief. To find out more about relieving bunion pain and other foot care topics, call Dr. Bret Hintze at Foot & Ankle Reconstruction of North Georgia, with offices in Woodstock, and Jasper, Georgia. Call today and save your feet!