Posts for: January, 2020
With the hustle and bustle of a busy lifestyle, it's easy to put foot health on the back burner. We spend so much time on our feet, yet many of us don't visit a podiatrist unless something is wrong with our foot, leg, or ankle. When an injury occurs to the bones, ligaments, and tendons in these regions, it can generate pain that can cause harm if not properly diagnosed and treated. If you live in Jasper and Woodstock, GA, Foot & Ankle Reconstruction commits to providing clear and effective communication between the doctor and patient.
Causes of Ankle Pain
It's common to feel off-balance, and sometimes that's all it takes to sprain the ankle or accrue a bone fracture. Other, less severe, causes of ankle pain also include:
- Gout - when uric acid builds up in the body, crystals can form in the joints, causing sharp pain
- Nerve Damage - from swelling in the tarsal tunnel - the area in the foot where the nerve enters the back of the ankle
- Joint Inflammation - wear and tear on the joints causes inflammation, which leads to discomfort
- Achilles tendonitis - inflammation in the band of tissue that connects the muscles to the back of the lower leg to the heel
Acute ankle pain may find alleviation from the following remedies:
- Elevation - keeping them raised above heart level decreases swelling
- Rest - avoid putting weight on the ankle as much as possible
- Ice - Icing sessions for 20 minutes at a time (90 minutes in-between) numbs the pain
- Compression - wrapping the ankle in a bandage increases blood flow
When to Seek Help for Your Ankle Pain
If you have foot or ankle disorders, have severe pain in these areas, or experience injury, it's beneficial to seek the help of a podiatrist to strengthen weak ankles, improve the quality of your foot health and help you return to daily activities. Patients should visit our Jasper and Woodstock, GA podiatrists if you notice redness, a change in foot temperature, numbness, symptoms of nerve damage. We can reach a proper diagnosis and create a treatment plan after performing a foot examination.
Leaving ankle pain untreated causes instability that can increase your risk of injury. Visiting your local podiatrist can help improve range of motion and build strength in the leg muscles and tendons. For more information about ankle pain, conditions we treat, and services provided, visit our website. To schedule an appointment, Foot & Ankle Reconstruction has two convenient locations. For our Woodstock, GA, office, please call (770) 999-0703. For our Jasper, GA, office, please call (770) 999-0804.