Posts for: November, 2019
A common, though nonetheless painful, bone deformity found on the foot, bunions can cause recurring chronic inflammation and irritation. Fortunately, here at Foot and Ankle Reconstruction in Jasper and Woodstock, GA, your podiartist, Dr. Bret J. Hintze, can help detect and treat this potentially harmful foot condition—read on to learn more!
Do you have a bunion?
Symptoms of a bunion include:
- A bump on the base of the big toe
- Corns or calluses
- Limited movement of the big toe
What non-surgical procedures can help?
- Eat healthy to maintain a suitable and appropriate weight.
- Protect the bunion using a gel-filled pad.
- Over-the-counter shoe inserts can help position the foot correctly to avoid further misalignment.
- Wear a splint to ensure the toe doesn't rotate and ease discomfort but make sure you consult your Jasper and Woodstock podiatrist.
- Use non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen to ease pain and inflammation.
- Soak feet in warm water, use ice packs and massage feet.
- Wear well-fitting shoes.
What if these approaches don't work?
If you have attempted the above-listed non-surgical treatment methods without relief, bunion surgery may be your best option. These procedures come in two categories:
- Head procedure is when the bone is moved to its proper position, and a screw is used to fix the toe in place.
- Base procedures is a surgical procedure done on the bone near or behind the big toe joint. There are several types of base procedures: placing and/or rotating the bone into its proper position; fusing the joint; and treating ligaments, inside and outside the toe.
A consultation with Dr. Hintze can determine if bunion surgery is right for you.
Need podiatric care? Give us a call
If you have any questions and or would like to schedule a consultation regarding bunion surgery, make sure to call Foot and Ankle Reconstruction in Jasper and Woodstock, GA, today. For the Jasper office, dial (770) 999-0804, and for Woodstock, dial (770) 999-0703.