posted: Mar. 28, 2017.
What your podiatrist in Woodstock and Jasper wants you to know
A bunion is a large, bony bump right next to your big toe. Sometimes bunions can be very painful and keep you from putting on your shoes. They can also impair your ability to walk. Fortunately, there is help for bunion pain. Dr. Bret Hintze at Foot & Ankle Reconstruction can treat your bunion and get you back on your feet. He has two office locations in Woodstock and Jasper, GA to serve your needs.
Bunions are more common in women because women tend to wear shoes that are narrow with not enough toe room. These shoes crush your toes together and force the middle joint of your big toe outward, causing a bunion. The bunion is further irritated from continuous rubbing against the inside of your shoe. High heels tend to push your toes forward, which causes more discomfort and irritation.
For small non-painful bunions, there are a few simple tricks you can try such as:
- Switching to wide, comfortable shoes or sandals
- Cushioning and taping the bunion
- Wearing inserts and padding in your shoes
For larger painful bunions, it’s best to see an expert like Dr. Hintze. Recommended treatments include cortisone injections around the toe joint to decrease swelling and pain, and prescription-strength medications to reduce inflammation and pain.
If you have a large painful bunion, you may need bunion surgery. You should consider having surgery if:
- Severe bunion pain keeps you from wearing shoes or walking
- Your big toe is deformed, or chronically swollen and inflamed
- You are unable to get pain relief from non-invasive therapies
Your podiatrist at Foot & Ankle Reconstruction is an expert at getting you back on your feet with these effective surgical treatments:
- Fusion of your big toe joint
- Realigning the bones in your big toe and foot
- Eliminating swollen, excessive tissue around your big toe joint
- Removing small amounts of bone in your big toe
If you suffer from bunion pain, don’t worry. There is help with just a simple phone call. Get some relief by calling Dr. Hintze at Foot & Ankle Reconstruction in Woodstock and Jasper, GA. Call and help your feet!